Monday, September 17, 2007

High Adventure (no, not that kind)

Briefly, in my bass world...
-This weekend I went to Cleveland with some other Oberlin basses to hear a bass concert. It was like a family reunion, basses from all over the area were there. I saw some of my friends from Pittsburgh and folks from SMI, and got to know my Oberlin peers a lot better (which is inevitable, I suppose, when you squeeze five bassists in one small car for extended periods of time.) It was definitely worth the drive (and the homework I had to stay up late doing afterwards).
-I'm revamping my left hand technique to be more efficient. My fingers naturally want to fly too high off the string and my pinky is doing silly things just to tease me, and refusing to change. It's very tedious and frustrating.
-Tuesday night at 9:00, I will be facing my first bass performance at Oberlin. Ok, it's nothing so dramatic as that really. I'm playing the Prelude to the 1st Bach cello suite in studio class, to get comments from the other bassists. I'm going to be ok. Really. Really, damnit! And it's not intimidating at all....

It is much easier to ride a bike in a short skirt than in a long one, as long as...
-you remember to straddle your bike and slide backwards to get on.
-you check your skirt when you dismount to make sure it's a) still on and b) hanging properly.
-you are a foxy lady!

Getting locked out of your room is considerably less fun when...
-your dorm is very cold, you just took a shower, and your flower-power flip-flops make loud flapping noises.
-you have only one towel, and it's too busy covering other things to protect your cold wet hair.
-the RA with the keys is an attractive male, who lives in the hall labeled "hawt menz," and is, of course, asleep.

(following the incident referred to above, I got one of the guys from rock-star hall to pierce my nose, and have begun wearing my room key as trendy jewelry. I'm sorry, dad, I know you said nothing permanent, but I really felt it was the most prudent course of action, and though I have to contort into some odd positions in order to open my door, I am proud to say I have not been locked out since.)

3 comments:

kytbear68 said...

Ain't Mondays grand??? :)

xoxo

Linda Lobb said...

Erin,
Your father and I are so proud of the way you making such efficient use of your practical skills and good judgment in your new life as a college student. What a prudent solution to keeping track of your keys!

Love,
Mom

Murdoc said...

Yay for piercings!