Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Sense and Self-Preservation

Ever since that bike ride, certain parts of my anatomy still complain every time my bike hits a bump in the sidewalk. I'm trying to wince with as much dignity as I can muster.

Today was a humbling day, not just because I was constantly reminded of my physical inadequacy every time I sat down, but also because I've realized just how little I know, and just how ordinary I am in this environment. In many ways this being ordinary is a convenient thing. It's much easier to find good food, and fun things to go to. In other ways I'll admit that it is a a blow. I will try not to sacrifice health for the desire to exceed expectations. (It is ok for me to say that, by the way. The next person who says that to me who is not me will not be well received.)

I've realized just how hard this semester is going to be. I'm actually quite grouchy about parts of it. Luckily I have my folders to console me (see Pretty Folders).

Tuesday is the day that the registrar designed to kill me, as payback for changing my schedule so many times. At 9 am I attend Aural Skills I. The freshman ritual of listing out classes has lost its amusement for me since, inevitably, the name of this particular class is greeted by snickers, confusion, and the need to spell a-u-r-a-l. (It is an unfortunate coincidence that Aural Skills happens to be taught by Professor Cox.) I actually think this will be an excellent class to wake up to, because the first thing we do is jump around and stretch. Also, the professor reminds me of someone I like and respect, and that is cheering. She's so passionate about her dull subject it's inspiring. She waxed poetic today about the personalities of quarter beats, and the wimpy, therapeutic nature of the perfect fourth. I immediately liked her. I hope I will still be able to say that in a few months, when I am struggling to make myself care about the leading tone in a movable do harmonic minor bliggity blah. Luckily everyone in that class seems to be as clueless as I am.

Music theory is going to be difficult and horribly boring. But really, the thing I think I'll have the most trouble doing in music theory class is keeping a straight face. Between the antics of the voice majors (who are always good for a laugh, and that's not a stereotype, but a fact), and the professor's intentional and unintentional jokes... I came out of that class and went straight to the bathroom to laugh my head off and calmly reattach it for...

From Page to Stage! This will undoubtedly be both my favorite and hardest class, with the possible exclusion of Developmental Psychology, which is tomorrow). In this class we read scripts, see plays, perform scenes, write reviews and analysis of these plays, and possibly write our own plays. It's going to be awesome. I cannot wait to get started. This class runs the risk of eating all my time, because I will want all my papers to be perfect, and all my scenes to be artistic and insightful. I will have to run periodic checks on myself for that.

Orchestra was actually rather depressing. I mean, the music was beautiful of course, and on the first reading. We're playing Brahms' Symphony No. 1 and Ginastera's Piano Concerto No. 1. The Brahms is very exciting and challenging, but also frustrating. There was no way I was going to be able to sight read that music. And, of course, I didn't, not without making some very embarrassing mistakes. All the other freshmen basses are in the other orchestra, which is kind of sad too. My stand partner is a mute. Well no, not really, but she so far has not lowered herself by conversing with a lowly first-year. And the guy on my left just talks to the tuba every time the (very intimidating) conductor lowers her baton.

All of my hall-mates are getting sick. It's very worrying. I've been eating, partying, and otherwise spending most of my time in close proximity with them all week, and they're really sweet/fun girls, but I'm not keen on joining them in the puke-fest. I'm trying to keep my distance. If my roommate gets sick, that connecting door is staying closed. No, I'd take care of her...but I'd wear a face mask.

I'm still not sure whether or not it's wise to add my swing class on top of everything else, but I've done stupider things before and survived, so I'm going to try it.

Anyway, I miss you, and don't tell me not to because I can't help it. But tomorrow should be a much better day. Developmental Psychology is going to be great.

Goodnight!

1 comment:

Spenser Isdahl said...

Here's some patented Spenserian blunt truth for you: If it were easy, anyone could do it.

XOXO