Friday, September 14, 2007

Burnt Sienna

God, whatever else he or she or it may be, is an artist, this much I'm sure of. This evening the sky was painted in such vibrant, aching, eye-searing colors that frazzled students and heartless professors alike were frozen by it's warmth. For moments out of time, the sidewalk became a sculpture garden, and every face turned heavenward was bathed in light, and groaning-gorgeous hues that were never squeezed from a tube. Each vagrant remnant of the day's drizzles cradled a glowing ember. The light shone right through the dipped-gold upper reaches of the Tappan oaks and maples, so that the pattern of overlapping leaves was like intricate, colorful lace. Wherever His paintbrush fell, on the chestnut locks of my roommate, on the bronze roof of the bell tower, and on my own cheeks, a swathe of gold glistened and shimmered like unearthly silk. Despite the unreasonably cold weather that these foolish Northerners take as a matter of course, tonight as I felt this kiss of light and color on my face, I was warm through and through.

This has been a long day of a long week. As my reward for being so good (well, as good as I can reasonably be) I gave myself free non-academic reign over my evening and when all my scholarly dues were paid, I went to a hip concert in a hip joint (get it, hip joint?). Jazz students from the conservatory were making delicious sounds in the Cat and the Cream, and I was there to lap it all up. The occasion, of course, required proper attire. My blood-red spike-heel Lady of the Night boots fit the bill quite nicely. Therefore when I tell you that the music was even sexier than my footwear, I am saying something significant. I had a blast- and a cookie! A famous "cat cookie" which, and I say this with no reservations, earned its reputation and more in the first gooey bite.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I learned that:

-when you put an already-tight cotton shirt in the dryer, it becomes skanky (or a fashion statement for the hip pre-school crowd, depending on the shirt).
-The sci-fi lounge has a tap just for boiling hot water that is extremely convenient. Because all-night nerding sessions and hot tea go so well together. (as all night nerding veteran, I can say that. You best watch it.)
-among poor college students, knowledge is valuable tender (in other words, I'm getting jazz lessons in exchange for Bach lessons, and it's GROOVY BABY)

4 comments:

Linda Lobb said...

Erin,
I just thought I'd let you know that reading your blog is the highlight of my day. And I am not alone. We older folks are just shy about commenting.
Have a great day!
Love,
Mom

Spenser Isdahl said...

I find it hard to believe that the best thing about the sci-fi lounge is the water... What about the nerds? Are the Obienerds as cool as those on Bardstown Road?

glassgirl said...

Erin, I think you're a writer in musicians clothing! I'm always looking forward to reading about your latest adventure....big or small....... :-)

kytbear68 said...

As one of the "older" folks, it's great fun to read your adventures. As an English teacher, I marvel at your descriptions, thought processes, and creative writing talent. As your aunt, I am in awe of your journalistic talent (ok, I'm jealous, too). You are a wonderful writer!

Thank you for sharing your imagery and imagination with us. It helps us to "see" where you are, what you are experiencing, and how much you are enjoying your college experience. It has also provided many laughs for me.

Love you,
Aunt JeNie