Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Talk of Toes

I can't speak Toe, but if I could, I'm sure I'd be hearing a lot of angry words right about now (especially from my big toes). Toes are silly and self-pitying appendages, though, and I don't care a bit about them, because I feel fantastic. I've been spinning and tapping and twirling and laughing since 9 o'clock this evening, at the 2nd official college Swing Dance. I earned my Gryffindor colors today; I embarked on this adventure all by myself (well ok, I knew folks who were gonna be there, but still!), not knowing the first thing about swing dancing, with only my fancy dress to assist me! So here was lonely little me, standing to a side staring in wonder at my talented and coordinated peers, and almost immediately I made eye contact with a friendly guy in need of a partner, who knew enough of the basics to teach me, but not so much that he was completely frustrated with me. And after a few dances, once we'd gotten the hang of step-step-rock-step and a few turns, my partner lead me into the very competent arms of his friend, who taught me the art of form and following, and comforted me with the wisdom that, whenever a mistake is made, it's always the guy's fault (if only this were true in life as well as dancing!).

From then on, if I wasn't dancing, it was only because I was guzzling down water, reapplying deodorant, or panting into the cool night air. Under the careful tutelage of a series of patient partners, I learned some things that impressed even me, and failed spectacularly in many amusing ways as well. The saxophone from my jazz band was there, my stand partner from orchestra, Cloak Guy from sci-fi hall (who's going to help me throw a swing dance in starlight lounge, though he doesn't know it yet...), and so many interesting people, but I won't pull a Mrs. Bennett and bore you with describing them all. I had a wonderful time, I'm still spinning and singing in me head! There's no sleeping now, that's for sure!

In other news, today there was a Dog festival on Tappan Square. I didn't realize this until I was walking to the conservatory this morning, and groggily asked some stranger why there were tents and people with speakers and little dogs running around. She replied casually "oh, it's the Doggy Doo, happens every year." I went and found a yorkshire terrier and a poodle mixed with something that looked like a wheaton, and thought of home.

I also discovered, out of pure dumb luck, a place that may soon become my sanctuary. I'm talking about the Ginko gallery. The window display pulled me in, and what I discovered inside will bring me back. The shop boasts a large selection of quality art supplies for decent prices. Kneaded erasers, brush pens, Microns, charcoal- everything I could think of to need, I saw there. Also, the back room of the shop currently plays host to 7 adorable little kittens, 5 black and two gray. The shop keeps kittens for some sort of cat adoption program, and encourages college students to play with them, to get them used to people. Me and my new friends were greatly amused by the movements of a peacock feather and several small brightly-colored balls.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

i love microns! haha, what a weird comment to make. i'm still trying to find an art shop around here i can trust. good luck on finding one!
that swing night sounds great. marymount doesn't host a lot of events like that, but we've got a Snow Ball at the end of the semester that I hear is really great.

glassgirl said...

The art store sounds great, especially with kitties to play with.....oh and by the way, it is always the guys fault, ha ha