Saturday, October 27, 2007

How the Cookie Crumbles

So tonight Daniel (my not-so baby bro) and I went to Cafe Mimosa, a restaurant I love so much that I noticed changes in the waiting staff since I've been gone, and it made me a little sad. But anyway, we were having a nice dinner, laughing and being our usual sophisticated selves (right), and at the end of the meal we got the check and, more importantly, the fortune cookies. Well I handed Daniel his cookie, and he handed me mine (that's what makes them true, you know), and I reminded him to add the appropriate ending to his fortune. Well he opens his and reads aloud: "You will be awarded a great honor (in bed)." Lovely. I am happy for him. I eagerly open my cookie, and sit up to read aloud--and it's empty. Empty! I break the cookie into little pieces to make sure; there's nothing in there. And nothing in the wrapper, nothing on the table... Apparently, I don't have a future. My advice to add the traditional ending takes on new significance.

Later that evening, Daniel's philosophizing over his pecan pie (w/ butter pecan ice cream. I had the dutch apple with caramel, tried and true, but I digress). He came to the happy conclusion, in regards to my lack of fortune, that "Well at least we know it won't be a fireball of death." His logic was, of course, that since he still had to be awarded a great honor, he wasn't going to die tonight, which meant it probably wasn't a traffic accident on the way home.

Great. This is very reassuring considering how very comfortable I am driving the van after walking everywhere for three months.

Not.

Anyway, right now my hair smells like woodsmoke, my face is sticky with marshmallow, and I still exist. All is right in my world.

Tomorrow, I return to Obieland, around 5ish (emphasis on the ish). Let's do something fun.
---------------------------------------------------
Peanut Butter Blossoms/Peanut Butter Nipple Cookies
  • preheat the oven to 375
  • cream 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup butter and 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • beat in 2 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, and 2 tsp vanilla
  • gradually add 3 1/2 cups flour, 2tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt
  • roll the dough into balls, and roll these balls in granulated sugar so they're coated on all sides
  • place on ungreased cookie sheets
  • bake 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees.
  • while they're baking, unwrap a lot of hershey's kisses.
  • as soon as you take the cookies out of the oven, press a kiss into the center of each
  • if you want, a little later you can come back and press the kiss down a little more so there's a nice ring of chocolate around it.

(this will make about 7 dozen cookies)

3 comments:

Spenser Isdahl said...

How unfortunate.

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Anonymous said...

You have tested it and writing form your personal experience or you find some information online?