Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Check Your Neck

Our numbers are growing. The first time I went, I was rather shy about the whole thing, but was put at ease when I saw a friend from high school there. The next week, a few more trickled in, and word started to spread. When people began bringing their families, that's when the whole thing really took hold. I'm optimistic about this summer's initiates, and I think our the group will continue to grow and take in new members.

No, I have not joined a cult. It's even better than that. I am now one of the few folks in town who plan the week around Monday nights, own more than three garmets made predominately of crinoline, and shop for dresses based on twirl circumference. I am a Louisville Country Dancer (see also: SUPERCOOL).

MONDAY NIGHTS-contra dancing, with live music, live callers, and *twirling*
7:30 beginner lessons 8:00-11(ish) dance
Church of the Advent on Baxter (near Bardstown Rd)

(I hear you get a +10 circumstance bonus to Cool every time you do-si-do)

I'm rediscovering the charms of Louisville (Also, the charms of a to-do list that includes napping). It really is a beautiful city. I didn't realize that until I left, I think. I've been reconnecting with my friends from high school, and spending a lot of time with my wonderfully crazy family (mostly cause they feed me). This weekend my whole family, cousins, aunts, uncles, and Grammy included, are going out to Cumberland Falls. Agenda for the weekend includes:
-catching lightning bugs, (and covertly handing them to my mother by getting her to "hold this for me")
-telling campfire stories (that make my brother easier to frighten later in the night)
-eating s'mores till there is chocolate all over my face
-convincing my youngest female cousin that she snores louder than any of the dads
-making up our own constellations and telling stories about them
-making sure mom is not so distracted watching birds that she walks off a cliff
-stockpiling memories to last through Fall semester.

In other news:

Daniel's home, finally. Because his nicknames at GSP included Heart-Throbb Lobb, and his facebook now consists of 500 pictures of him and "some girl" grinning at the camera, I've taken it as my solemn duty to call him "squirt" and ruffle his hair as much as possible. He loves it. Amazingly, despite the fandom he's gathered because of his music and stunning good looks (it runs in the family), he's returned home without the huge ego you would expect in a 17 year old heart-throb. He even let his dumpy old sister take him out for brunch! He's written some new very creative songs that would be a pleasure to listen to even if I didn't get to say "that's my brother!" Still, I can't help it if a little irony leaks into my voice when I suggest that you "check out his MySpace."

From August 15th to the 21st I'm going to be an honorary dudette in the surf capital of the world, Santa Cruz, California! I'm visiting my Oberlin friends, Graham and Eugene. Oh, and I get to hang out on the beach and go to San Francisco. You know, everyday stuff....Ok, not gonna lie, I'M SO STOKED! Or is that "I'm hella psyched, dude!"? I'm also hoping to get some surf lessons while I'm there, although Daniel has prepped me not to be dissappointed if I fail spectacularly. He seems to doubt my natural grace. Considering my agility walking and remaining upright on solid ground, and my love of rocking boats and churning waves, I'm sure I will have no problem balancing on a moving board that looks, to great white sharks, like a plump seal. Yeah I know, you don't need to give me that look. There's a bet involved, is part of it. Also, though, I'd like to give it a try. It seems as "california" as hippies and avocados, and I want to say I got the full experience.

Anything else I should try to do in the San Francisco/Santa Cruz area?

I promise I'm going to post some Italy stories soon, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. And no JeNie, it's not because I'm figuring out which parts to tell you about, either. At least, that's not all of it (jk, mom).

Give yourselves big hugs from me, and give me a call if you're in town,

yours,
Erin

-------------------------------------------------
Contributed by Mr. Jeff Foxworthy:

You Might Be a Redneck If....

. . . on Thanksgiving Day you have to decide which pet to eat.

. . . your idea of high-quality entertainment is a six-pack and a bug-zapper.

. . . you think the last words to The Star Spangled Banner are “Gentlemen, start your engines.”

. . . you’ve ever been to a wedding reception at the Waffle House.

. . . your dog has ever brought home something that you cooked for dinner.

. . . you’ve ever hollered, “Rock the house, Bubba!” during a piano recital.

. . . your kids’ favorite bedtime story is “Curious George and the High Voltage Fence.”

. . . your favorite restaurant has a gas pump in front and the word “eats” anywhere in the name.

. . . your baby’s crib mobile is made out of beer cans.

. . . your wife has a set of earrings that you use as a fishing lure.

. . . your chili’s secret ingredient comes from a bait shop.

. . . there is more carpet on your toilet than on your floors.

. . . your mailing address includes the word “holler.”

. . . your favorite fishing lure is TNT.

. . . you tell Grandpa he has something in his teeth and he takes them out to see.

. . . there is a trophy in your house with the word “spitting” on it.

. . . you think the stock market has a fence around it.

. . . your flashlight holds more than four batteries.

. . . you own a flamingo with buckshot holes in it.

. . . your favorite mixed drink includes Yoo-Hoo.

. . . there are four pairs of pants and two squirrels hanging from your clothesline.

. . . your local newspaper has a front-page feature called “Cow of the Week.”

. . . you’ve ever committed a crime with a lawn mower.

. . . your bridal veil was made of window screen.

. . . your favorite cologne is Deep Woods Off.

. . . you think safe sex means putting on the emergency brake.

. . . you use old auto parts as a boat anchor.

. . . you have an above ground pool and you fish in it.

. . . your doghouse and your living room both have the same shag carpet.

. . . you think fast food is hitting a deer at 65 mph.

. . . you save cooking grease in a coffee can.

. . . you have ever tried to use food stamps to mail a watermelon.

. . . your spring wardrobe mostly involves using scissors.


2 comments:

Eugene said...

You should definitely check out the Cabrillo music festival; I think it'll still be going on then. Graham probably knows more about it than I do.
And I am totally going to win that bet. Because, y'know, I'm SO graceful and acrobatic. Yup. I'm screwed.
Andiamo!

Anonymous said...

You've been in KY too long when you start quoting Jeff Foxworthy or is it the country dancing that does it to you? :) You'll have to teach me some of that fancy footwork.

And I don't expect "those" stories to be posted online. That's for a late night gab session...if you'll ever come down here and spend more than a few hours with me. ha ha

Aunt J