Monday, June 9, 2008

How do you say, in english?

I hear a shriek. Somewhere nearby someone is screaming their poor heart out. Perhaps a woman is being robbed, or a child beaten? I roll onto my back and confirm I am not dreaming. Fast on the heels of my first thought (Glasses, glasses, where are my glasses?) comes another: Perhaps I should scream too? In my head I give an experimental shout. What comes out sounds more like “whuh?” In my jet-lagged well-travelled state I am slow to realize that these strange calls are not “help!” or even “aiuto!” In fact what I am now hearing are overlapping two octave arpeggios, descending chromatically. I am relieved to find that what I’d mistaken for a distress call is actually musical rapture. Oh joy.

I am currently living in a convent. I have the best roommates in the joint, H (clarinet) and M (bassoon), neither of which are nuns. We get along well, and our room is very comfortable and “cute.” Our neighbors scattered along the hall are all opera singers. Sopranos and mezzo sopranos, to be specific (I’ve been assured the distinction is very important). These dear neighbors have been “warming up” since we arrived. I imagine they are quite toasty by now.

My computer thinks it is 12:16 right now. That is because my computer still believes it is with you, in Kentucky. It doesn’t know is that both it and I are currently an ocean, several countries, and six hours from “y’all” and “g’mornin’.” I am writing you from Santa Catarina in Arezzo, Italy. It is raining now, and I have the window slightly open to let the pigeons in, and also to hear the Italian rain hit the ceramic tiles and metal gutter outside. Funny, it sounds just like Kentucky rain. If I close my eyes, there’s nothing to tell me I’m not lying in the grass under our big oak. Well, except for the distant tolling from the bell tower of Arezzo’s cathedral. And the catty rapid fire Italian exchanged between two maids downstairs. And the echoing of multiple languages trapped in high ceilings and hardwood floors.

Ok, so it’s not exactly like home.

The town of Arezzo is beautiful. It is beautiful in the evening, with golden warmth slanting across the cobblestones. It is beautiful at night, with bright globes outlining meandering streets and laughing couples weaving through the bustle. It is beautiful in the morning, and when it drizzles. It is beautiful when the cobblestones dry in the sun and the shop awnings glint with droplets.

You might have gathered that I like it here. Yesterday I went on a walking tour that gave me just a taste of the history and culture. As Abby would say, I’ve eaten one pistachio (it was delicious, and now I want more). I think I will have to get lost, reveal myself as a foreigner, and fall on the cobblestones many more times in the next 5 weeks to fully appreciate Arezzo. I plan to shirk responsibilities whenever possible in order to do so (just kidding).

Said “Responsibilities” Include:
-8:50 to 12:35 Italian lessons
-3 to 4 or 5, chamber group rehearsal (Beethoven Septet, Barber Adagio)
-6 to 8 orchestra rehearsal
-The Marriage of Figaro, and all associated performances and rehearsals

My Italian teacher does not speak English very well, but she’s very excited about all the various feminine/masculine/asexual/plural/singular/multidimensional/transmutational articles of Italian. She’s also excited about the English word for hiccups, which, if you think about it, is very fun to say.

I have not yet tasted gelato. I feel this is an egregious error that I must now correct. Ciao!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Practical Stuff:
-I have internet (obviously), but it’s currently inconvenient to use for an extended period of time (long story, work in progress). I’m typing blogs offline, and then only getting online long enough to post them and send the standard “I am alive” email to my family. Expect contact, but not regular extensive contact.
-No cell phone.
-Food/money is holding out all right. The convent isn’t letting us use the kitchen, and doesn’t have laundry facilities.
-Digital Camera=awesome. I take back all the bad things I said about technology (until it breaks).
-I have converters for charging appliances (like this computer). I have not killed anyone or anything yet. Knock on wood for me.
-I’m still your graceful glamorous girl (Tide will get chocolate out of cotton, right?), and I love you. A lot. Hugs all around.

XOXO
Erin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the merry account of your experiences so far. It sounds fabulous.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

You paint things so well that I can "see" the sights you are seeing. Thank you for sharing all of this with us, you loving relatives across the sea. I just look forward to you coming home and sharing the experiences in person (and the pics from your digital!) :)

Love you!
Aunt JeNie